Many colonial sites in Hai Phong with a touch of French style have stayed undamaged after over a century and end up being traveler treasures.
Hai Phong was founded in 1887 as a major port city of Vietnam.
In 1888, the head of state of the French Third Republic, Sadi Carnot, promulgated a decree to develop Hai Phong as well as started building a collection of major structures on a seven-hectare location from Lac Long Bridge to Tran Hung Dao Road as recognized today.
In the picture stands the previous head office of Hai Phong’s Individuals Board, among the first French-influenced structures in the north port city.
Another gem that brings the one-of-a-kind architectural design of the French is Hai Phong Concert Hall on Tran Hung Dao Street in Hong Bang District.
Building and construction started in 1904 as the French colonial authorities cleared an old market to give way for the Opera House. Its style simulated the design of France’s Palais Garnier.
It took 8 years to finish. All products were brought from France as well as built by Vietnamese workers under the lead of French architects.
Hai Phong Music Hall was a place of political and also social tasks for the French and abundant indigenous individuals. Just popular performers from France or renowned regional equivalents can execute right here while only the rich might manage tickets.
Within the main performance hall, Hai Phong Opera House offers seating for 300 clients over two floors.
The highlight is that its plush, red supported chairs fit perfectly with the gold cutting and also high domed ceiling of the space.
Near the Music hall stands a previous exclusive hospital called Fesquet that was possessed by a French medical professional.
Today, it serves as the headquarters of Hai Phong Young People Union.
Additionally on Tran Hung Dao Road is Kim Dong Park.
In the middle of this park is a multi-roofed building integrated in 1942 by the French.
Now the building acts as a town library of Hong Bang District.
The headquarters of Vietinbank on Dien Bien Phu Road, which used to be called Paul Bert Opportunity under French colonial regulation.
Situated on Luong Khanh Thien, Hai Phong Station is just one of the major train centers along the Hanoi– Hai Phong path in Vietnam.
Developed by French engineers, it got in operation in 1902.
The train terminal is also the terminus of the Sino– Vietnamese Railway, which was the very first railway line to Kunming City of China’s Yunnan Province.
Built in 1905, Hai Phong Post Office also carries the neoclassical style of many various other significant French-influenced structures.
The initial telephone line in Hai Phong City was set up here.
It is currently a preferred tourist location in Hai Phong.
Hai Phong Gallery was the very first neighborhood gallery established in Vietnam.
Integrated in 1919 on a one-hectare area covered with old trees, the gallery holds a little yet impressive collection of neighborhood historic artifacts that trace the heritage of the area in addition to an option of priceless treasures, standard things, as well as old photographs.
Designer Minh Tri, vice chairman of Hai Phong Architects Organization, stated Hai Phong’s metropolitan architecture births the influence of the French.
Over the past 100 years, French structures have continued to be nearly intact, he said.