Three Vietnamese Bars Among Asia’s 100 Best
Ever taken a moment to wonder about the best watering holes across Asia? The annual Asia 100 best bar list by William Reed Business Media is just the answer. Crafted by industry aficionados, this list shines a spotlight on the crème de la crème of Asia’s bars, showcasing the rich culture, ambiance, and craftsmanship behind every cocktail. And this year? Vietnam made a grand entry with three of its bars.
Stir Bar, Ho Chi Minh City
Nestled on Le Thanh Ton Street, almost playing hide and seek opposite the Ben Thanh Market, is the Stir Bar. Making its mark at 82nd, this cozy corner brings the nostalgic feel of Vietnam from the 60s and 70s. With the capacity to host 40 guests and a patio boasting a view of the iconic Ben Thanh market, it’s a perfect blend of intimate and bustling.
Ever fancied sipping on a jackfruit sticky rice cocktail? Or perhaps a Truffle Martini while nibbling on some traditional banh mi or mangosteen salad? From 5:30 p.m. to 2 a.m., Stir Bar offers just that, wrapping you in its warm embrace of old-time Vietnam.
The Haflington, Hanoi
Climbing up to 85th is The Haflington in Hanoi’s historic Old Quarter. Hidden away in an attic on Hang Ma Street, this bar is a whimsical blend of a European museum and an upscale cocktail joint. Picture this: fossils, rows of ancient books, and wait for it… a three-meter-long dinosaur skeleton hovering over the bar!
Two years in, and it’s already a hot spot in Hanoi’s flourishing cocktail realm. The vintage décor, complete with dark timber and brown leather stools, sets the stage for tropical fruit cocktails that tantalize the taste buds. And if you’re seeking a more secluded space, the sub-floor is just the ticket.
Enigma, Ho Chi Minh City
Taking the 96th spot is Enigma on Hai Ba Trung Street. Ever dreamt of sipping a cocktail in a scene straight out of Blade Runner? With its sci-fi movie-inspired interiors, bathed in green and pink neon lights, Enigma offers just that. But that’s not all. With 30 signature cocktails, imagine sipping on one made from Tay Ninh shrimp salt or Hoa Loc mango Dak Lak sarsi. Intrigued much?
Open your senses to the Naked Pumpkin cocktail and more, from 5 p.m. till the clock strikes midnight.
It’s not just about the drinks, but the stories these bars tell, the experiences they offer, and the culture they encapsulate. With Stir Bar, The Haflington, and Enigma making their mark on the Asia 100 best bar list, it’s evident that Vietnam’s bar scene is only getting started. So, the next time you find yourself in Vietnam, why not toast to its rising stars?
- How are the rankings for the Asia 100 best bar list determined?
- The rankings are based on votes from the Asia’s 50 Best Bars Academy, which consists of bar industry professionals and mixology experts.
- What is unique about Stir Bar?
- Stir Bar offers a blend of modern cocktails inspired by traditional Vietnamese street drinks, set in an ambiance reminiscent of Vietnam in the 60s and 70s.
- What sets The Haflington apart?
- Its museum-like architecture with a European touch, and the impressive three-meter-long dinosaur skeleton suspended above the bar.
- What is the theme of Enigma?
- Enigma is inspired by sci-fi movies, decorated with neon lights creating a mystical ambiance.
- Who was crowned the best bar in Asia this year?
- Hong Kong’s Coa clinched the title of the best bar in Asia for a record third consecutive year.